Sunday, June 16, 2013

I'm half way there!

What's up everyone. I arrived in Helsinki, Finland not to long ago. It's about 9 in the morning here and it's lovely, although a bit chilly. Yes, I know....I'm traveling the opposite way most people do when they go to Asia but hey, I saved a couple hundred bucks that way. Plus, I get to experience yet another culture! From Chicago, IL to Helsinki, Finland, it took about 9 hours (a bit less?). It's my first time flying by myself and oh boy, I've been so nervous. From when I started out and got dropped off at the airport, I had no clue what I was doing. I'm so glad I made it this far. Although there have been embarrassing moments; I get into the wrong lines/places a lot. The flight itself was nice. The sunrise above the clouds is definitely a sight to see. Flying through the clouds too, is gorgeous because of all the different colors and light refracting. I've flown internationally quite a few times already but as a grown up all by myself, I have a different appreciation for it.

My advice for planes! Wear comfortable clothing, especially if the flight is long. I'm wearing pretty loose jeans and it's still unbearable. I should have just worn sweats but my conscious wouldn't let me do it. Try to pick some good seats. The aisle seats are always nice in my opinion, especially if you don't like having to reach over people and asking them to wake up so you can go to the lavatory. I got a window seat and it was pretty chill watching the entire take-off and landing. Flying isn't so scary, but if you're nervous definitely don't go for the window seat. Could be of better use for someone who actually wants it. All in all, just don't worry about flying. Think happy thoughts or else you'll be freaking out the entire time....LIKE REALLY. And maybe have something to do. I took Finnair so there wasn't much besides a small TV in the middle rows, and I was in the window seat of the left side. My flight was just nappy time. If you take the nicer seats (more expensive) or even nicer airlines (cough, Korea or Japan), you get your own screen and gaming set and everything. Oh how I wanted that. The plane food wasn't too bad for Finnair. But let's be honest, plane food is just blah. Also, don't bring blankets. Some lady brought a giant quilt and I'm sure that was over-kill. Most, if not all, airlines (at least the ones I've been on) provide a neat little blanket. Mmm, that's all the advice I can think of.

For my flight over to China, I'm just going to look over my Chinese text books and cram like crazy. I'm a bit nervous. I'll update you all on how my arrival goes! Probably will....I'll be in the airport at Shanghai for awhile since I'll want to wait for my friend, Eddie's (he's also doing the Chinese Intensive Language Program) flight to come in from Korea. Hopefully we'll have some awesome adventures arriving a day earlier but I'm done for sleeping if not....My back and legs are killing me from sleeping in those plane seats.

How my body feels when I sleep in cars and planes...or pretty much anything that's not a nice bed.


Signing off!
-Thomas

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More